Why do we focus so heavily on the desination and not the journey? Just wanting to get the pounds off, but not figuring out why they crept on? Or caring enough to develop habits that will help them stay gone?
So often weightloss is about goals - but in my experience of counting points and calories for the last seven years - there is more to all of this than a number on the scale. I agrue that the scale can be the most detrimental thing to a weight loss journey as its stubbornness can lead to burn out, boredom, and frustration, which makes us question why oh why, kills our intentions, which makes us phone it in, which perpetuates the burn out, boredome and frustration (see where I'm going?).
I have found in most areas of my life that I'm more successful when I execute with intention, and less successful when I simply go through the motions. I make an effort to blog here, plan my meals with food (not "food"), get up in the morning to run, or pop in that workout DVD, or go to Zumba. I'm better at work when I put heart into it. I'm a better mom when I interact with my daughter rather.
Perhaps that's why I've dedicated myself to this Operation. To maintain intention and motivation. This Operation enables me to maintain a certain level of "seriousness" about my wellness journey. I enjoy learning, contemplating, and exploring various thoughts in regards to wellness (so get ready for a doozy).
And since undertaking this Operation, I feel better about me, inside and out. I like how I look. And I LOVE how I feel. I realized yesterday that I have not cried in a long time. (OK, maybe I shed a tear during the first episode of Losing It, but as far as actual crying, two months.)
I'm finally to a point in my life where I feel like I call the shots. I feel in control, empowered and confident. I feel like I can handle almost anything that comes my way. I've made decisions about how I deal with relationships and situations that used to haunt me. Through fitness and wellness, I've gained a respect for myself I never really had before. I know I can accomplish things. I've taken off 50 pounds TWICE. I successfully quit smoking and didn't gain any weight. I found some amazing friends along this journey. I have prooved to myself that my life is mine. No one else is going to live it for me. I've decided that I don't deserve to feel badly about myself. I'm too good of a person for that.
I've taken time to focus on myself, my priorities, relationships, and my goals. What am I and what am I not? What will I and won't I do?
- I will be be a good example for my daughter. I want her to have the confidence to be herself.
- I will be a good wife and tell Brad every day how having him in my life makes it better.
- I will be healthy - I've got this body and I'm in control of how I take care of it.
- I will not feel overwhelmed by things and people I cannot control.
- I will not engross myself in toxic relationships.
- I will not permit outside forces dictate how I feel about myself, my family, or my convictions.
5K Training Update
Finished Week 4 last week and started Week 5 yesterday. My interval was:
- Run 5
- Walk 3
- Run 5
- Walk 3
- Run 5
No comments:
Post a Comment