Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Zumba: The Verdict Is In

Last night I went to Zumba again after a questionable experience the Thursday before. This time I was lucky enough to be joined by Sam & Katie. When the class went to start, we stood in high anticipation of what the tiny woman at the front of the room would do.

Explode. That's what she did. She freaking exploded.
Holy. Crap. 15 minutes into the workout, I had a pretty decent sweat going on. I was managing to keep up somehow, making it up if I was confused. 30 minutes in, I was very grateful for the barrette I had taken back from my daughter to hold my hair back. By the time the cool down came around, my clothes were soaked, my face beet red, my hair akin to Reverend Wetlocks (long story - nickname my cousin gave my mom).

And. It. Felt. Awesome.

ZUMBA VERDICT: WIN!

5K Training

Two-thirds of the way through my fourth week of training. This week's interval:
  • 5 min warm up
  • Run 3 minutes
  • Walk 1.5 minutes
  • Run 5 minutes
  • Walk 2.5 minutes
  • Run 3 minutes
  • Walk 1.5 minutes
  • Run 5 minutes
  • 5 min. Cool Down
I ran Monday on a 2% resistance/incline and today I started at a 4% but by the last minute of my last run went back to 2%. I really struggled on my last run this morning. I found my hands moving toward the handrails, then I would snap them back and said "NO!". (Apparently I like to talk to myself while working out. What??). I'm positive that I survived because I was watching "Losing It with Jillian" while running this morning.

But DUDE! I ran for 5 minutes straight! At 6.2 and 6.3 mph! I've run for a total of 16 minutes two days this week!

Weekend Oopsie

So....excuses aside, I really blew it on the eating/drinking thing over the weekend. I knew the choices weren't the best. I deliberately did not plan to do well. Smart decision? No. Do I regret it? I've moved on really.

My friend Stephanie (I've sent you over to her blog before) wrote a pretty awesome pep-talk. Here's an excerpt:

"How did you do with your wellness goals? You did great? Oh, I'm so proud of you. That is so awesome and quite an accomplishment. Keep up the good work!


You didn't do so well? Here, I'll help you make sure you get back on track. First, if you have any negative self-talk going on put an end to it right now. Here I'll wait ... No really, get rid of it ...


Ok, next I want you to think of at least one smart choice you made this weekend. I'm sure you have them. Think back to how you would have played this weekend a few years ago compared to how you played it this year. Did you skip an extra dessert? Avoid the fruity drink cooler? Go to an extra spin class? I know you made some smart choices - reflect on those when the negative talk sneaks it's way in.

Finally, just keep moving forward. Make the rest of the week perfect. Plan ahead how you're going to eat and make sure you get in as much exercise as you can. Never give up."

I couldn't have said it better myself, Stephanie. So I just reposted your words :o)

How are you doing on your fitness goals?

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo, I'm so happy you liked Zumba!! It sounds like you're starting to get the itch. I predict you'll be picking out your favorite song and routine very soon! Thanks again for the blog shout-out (blush). You're my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://stlgrl216.blogspot.com/2010/07/pant.html

    ReplyDelete