Wednesday, October 20, 2010

5K Run and Done!!!!

I am so thrilled to boast that I RAN A 5K!!!

I have several friends who do marathons and half marathons, but I myself have found running to be a good thing only when being chased.  However, I made a decision to run this race, and I did it!

How did we get here?

While watching a television show, I saw an overweight woman commit to running a 5K race.  And she did it.  I thought, "This is silly - if she can run it, why can't I?"  So I downloaded an app to my newly purchased iTouch and got started. 

At first the training seemed easy because I was in shape.  Run for 60 seconds, walk for 90, lather rinse repeat.  OK, no problem.  Then the longer runs started.  Run 5.  Run 8.  Run 10.  Run 20 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME????). 

The first time I ran for 20 minutes straight, I thought I was on top of the world.  ME!!!  Then 25.  Then 30!!! 

I would talk about my training and say, "Well, the first mile went really well," or "I felt really strong after I hit the 2 mile mark."  I was talking in terms of milage.  Seriously??? 

Brad and I originally planned to run a 5K at the end of September, but there were some scheduling conflicts, so we ran the Lindenwood University Race To Be King 5K on October 16. 

First of all - could not have asked for a more beautiful day.  It was not terribly hot, the sun was shining, and there was even a little breeze.  Time to go.

The running path wound through the university's campus, which is beautiful.  Student volunteers were placed along the way to direct runners on where to go next.  I found myself pacing against the same two or four people the whole time....I'd pass them, they'd pass me. 

Now, let's talk about the hills.  Holy man alive the hills.  There weren't MANY, but the ones that I encountered were STEEP.  It would have been very easy to call it and walk the hills.  But I didn't.  My goal was to run the WHOLE race.  That's what I'd been training for.  So we move forward. 

One small disadvantage to this run - the mile markers had disappeared overnight.  It was incredibly hard to pace because they weren't there.  But I knew when I was getting to the end because I could see runners who had already finished doubling back.

At the end, the path curved around into the football staduim.  I thought, "Great!  The finish line is the entrace to the football stadium!"  So I busted into my sprint....only to enter the stadium and see that I had to run halfway around the football field and then into the center.  OK....we can do this.  I was SO CLOSE to finishing when my legs started to flag a little.  NO!  We're too close to quit now!!!

And, in a perfect poetic moment, the Glee "Journey to Regionals" version of "Don't Stop Believin" clicked over on my iPod.  I finished the race in 29 minutes and 57 seconds (I think).  I was handed a bottle of water and someone took part of my number off....it's all a little hazy. 

But I did it. 

Brad finished shortly thereafter, and we were together so proud of the goal we accomplished.  Running a 5K. 

Here's the map of the race: http://www.lindenwood.edu/homecoming/5k.cfm

Goal Update

1) Poundage.  We shall see....

2) As of today, I have earned 480 fitness minutes this month - 120 to go.  No sweat (well...there IS sweat....but I'll get the goal without too many problems...)

3) Run the 5K.  Bazinga.

4) I do believe I will be done with my book by the 31st.

5) I think I need to revise the VanGogh goal.  I'm hoping to finish the "row" I'm on by the end of the month. That's another 8 blocks or so.  I think that's more managable than what I set out to do.  But, I feel like I'm finally in the right rhythm with it, so hopefully things will go along at a better click.

Zumba Awesomeness
In class on Monday, we did this number that involves jumping.  I LOVE THIS SONG!  At two different points in the song, you are supposed to jump as high as you can and "beat the bongos" or whatever.  Evidently I rock at this as I heard the instructor call out, "LOOK AT LIZ!"  That made me smile.

How are your monthly goals doing?  Ready for Halloween????

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you for setting a goal to run this 5k and totally kicking its arse. Look at Liz!

    ReplyDelete