For my birthday, I received a copy of Jillian Michaels' latest book, Master Your Metabolism. In this book, Jillian talks about what "metabolism" is, and how to make it work for us. Metabolism is the combination of all the hormones and chemicals in your body that regulate how you burn calories. So, when you say you have a fast or slow metabolism, you're talking more about how your metabolism performs than what it actually is.
Moving on, she talks a lot about several hormones and how to help them perform their jobs best. She then talks about foods (and drinks) that inhibit hormone function and foods (and drinks) that promote hormone function.
Jillian is very pro-organic and anti-processed food. She basically says, "If it didn't have a mother or come from the ground, it doesn't belong in your body." Our bodies were not designed to deal with a McDonalds on every corner or the convenience of grocery stores. So, when we pump "crap" into our bodies, they freak out and don't know what to do with it.
While the book did not convince me to go 100% organic, grow my own vegetables, and shop exclusively at farmers markets, it did one very important thing: it got me thinking about my diet (and I don't mean diet in "losing weight" terms, but general "what I eat" terms).
I looked back at some of my journals from just a couple of months ago. Granola bars for breakfast, frozen lunches or deli sandwiches for lunch, dinners of a protein and some kind of starchy vegetable. It was time to fix this problem.
I'm so glad I did. I've been making modifications in my diet (cutting down on junk like HFCS) and eating more real food. More berries, more vegetables, and feeling FULLER. I have to give my girl, Jill, props for the "magic salad," which is spinach, beans, misc. veggies, and a lean protein (I tend to favor tuna) with low fat dressing. SO GOOD and so filling. And I know I'm eating foods that are better for me and for my body.
If you are looking to improve your diet, try replacing one processed thing you eat with real food. Instead of a granola bar, grab an apple. Instead of a bag of chips, grab some hummus and carrot sticks. I think making better food choices is empowering - see what you think!
What are positive food changes you have made, or what changes are you going to challenge yourself to make?
Week 3 Training
I did my second run of the week this morning. My running intervals were solidly at 6.5 mph. I covered 2.3 miles on the treadmill. With about one minute left in my last run, I felt my legs wanting to quit, so I (out loud) yelled, "NO!" and kept going. Rock on Liz!
I also signed up for a one-month pass to the Rec-Plex. My friend, Sam, and I are going to take Zumba classes! First one is Thursday!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment